al•mond brown•ies: (n) a square of nutty, chocolatey goodness, where one bite takes you to a world of crunchy, fudgey, gluten free heaven, leaving you wanting more. In other words, these are not your average brownies.
First of all, let’s get a couple things straight. I’ve raved over so so so many chocolate flavor pairings before (y’all know my unconditional love for chocolate), namely peanut butter and chocolate. Oh, and we can’t forget about the raspberry/chocolate and pistachio/chocolate combos. But almonds and chocolate? Ho-ly crud. You’d expect it to taste similar to the peanut butter and chocolate, but the natural flavor and crunch from the almonds with the smooth, chewy texture of the brownie is something entirely different. For real! I can’t explain it… they’re just sooooo good!
Now let me introduce these brownies to y’all (that’s right. We’re just getting started over here). First up, we’re using good ol’ coconut oil! Not only is it a much healthier alternative to butter, but it gives these brownies a subtle, hint of coconut, and that’s never a bad thing🤷🏻♀️ They’re sweetened with agave (which, by the way, is yet another food trend that I’m late for), and thickened up with almond flour. Yay for more GF recipes! The almond flour is really what makes these brownies “almond brownies,” because without it, these would really just be “brownies topped with almonds.” Hey, now that I think about it, that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world either!
Don’t these beauties just instantly make your morning a whole lot better?
Yeahhhh, baby. Now tell me you aren’t drooling over these!
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup coconut oil (melted or solid, either works just fine)
- ½ cup agave (sub with regular sugar or honey)
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup crushed almonds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper, and set aside for later.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil and chocolate chips. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth, making sure the chocolate doesn't burn!
- Add agave, eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla extract to the chocolate/coconut oil mixture. With a whisk or a spoon (which is what I used), stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Then, add in cocoa, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold in gently, until a batter forms.
- Spread the batter into prepared baking pan and top with crushed almonds. Bake for 28-30 minutes, until the edges are firm but the center is still slightly soft. Let cool, and cut into squares. Enjoy!