IT’S OFFICIALLY FALL HERE ON THE BLOG!
Y’all have no idea how excited the idea of sweater weather makes me. Ever since school started, I’ve been packing away my shorts and tank tops, and replacing them with blanket scarves and chunky sweaters. The 90 degree weather here in Texas makes it kinda hard to wear them, but they make me really really happy. Can you blame me? My local Whole Foods has a giant pile of mega sized pumpkins for sale, and I’m obviously already stocking up on apples, squash, and of course, canned pumpkin. And guess what? This apple upside down cake I’m sharing today is loaded with soft, cinnamon-y apples, and loads of pumpkin pie spice (which, btw, is homemade and smells SO good).
One reason I’m sharing this apple upside down cake with y’all is because of the new season, but the more important one is it’s my bestie’s birthday today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY @LIVETHEPREPLIFE!!! We’ve shared so many memories together (including our obsession with fall and christmastime), and it’s hard to believe you’re already 15. Just add some virtual candles and ice cream, and enjoy :) Go send her some love on her special day today!
If you’re looking for a traditional apple upside down cake recipe, my faves are this one from Pinch of Yum and this one from Rock Recipes. But here, we do things a lil’ bit different. Instead of your average butter + brown sugar mixture (which, might I add, is still delish), I’m using my favorite Trader Joe’s coconut oil and honey. Both give the apples such a sweet n’ sticky, caramel-esque flavor, that you really won’t miss the refined stuff! Again, if you’re looking for a traditional recipe, this is probably not for you.
I miss posting here as often as I did this summer! With the craziness of school and afterschool activities, it really sucks all the blogging energy out of me. I’ve mentioned before, but I’m trying to get into a consistent schedule of shooting/filming on the weekends, and editing as I go, so fingers crossed that works out.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 medium apples, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (!!!!)
- ½ cup coconut oil (softened, not melted)
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup almond milk.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt together coconut oil and honey, until bubbles begin to form. Add the apples and cinnamon, and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, until apples are soft.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Give a gentle stir, and set to the side. In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil and honey, until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- To this mixture, add about ⅓ of the dry ingredients, whisking to combine. Add half of the almond milk, and stir. Repeat this process (1/3 dry ingredients, remaining almond milk, remaining dry ingredients), until a smooth batter is formed. Don't overmix!
- Grease a 9 inch cake tin, and add the apples to the bottom of the pan. Make sure to drain out any excess liquid, or else your cake will be soggy! Spoon the batter over the apples, and bake for 35-40 minutes, until firm.
- Serve with a generous amount of vanilla ice cream, candles if you're celebrating fall or it's your birthday (@livethepreplife), or even some of the extra liquid from the apple mixture would be great. Enjoy!
Happy birthday, Brooke! Eat your heart out today.