Now, I’m not going to deny that I have a lil’ bit of an obsession with the chocolate pistachio power combo. Who wouldn’t?? The crunchy, salty pistachios pair perfectly with the dark n’ sweet chocolate, and I’m also totally digging the earthy green and brown colors of these sweet treats. What’s not to love about that? Oh yeah, do yourself a huge favor and scroll down to the bottom of this post, so you can treat yourself with these chocolate pistachio ice cream sandwiches (c’mon, do it. right. now.)
I’m going to have to admit, not until a couple years ago, I wasn’t the biggest fan of nutty ice cream flavors. Growing up, I was always that stubborn kid, who would eat one and only one ice cream flavor, until I got completely and utterly sick of it. My selection consisted of one flavor: vanilla (I know, I’m crazy adventurous, right??) I eventually became a liiiittle less picky, and finally tried out some new flavors that all the cool kids were having. Including pistachio.
But who would have thought that a couple years later, I’d start a food blog, and use one of my former least favorite flavors into something so delicious out of it? It’s crazy how much things can change in a couple of years!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, separated
- ¼ cup softened butter (half a stick)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, cold (you can substitute with more butter instead)
- ⅓ cup sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup pistachios
- Pistachio ice cream (as much or as little as your heart desires!)
- Preheat oven to 350. Microwave ½ cup of the chocolate chips in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth and completely melted.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together softened butter and coconut oil until smooth. If the coconut oil is to warm, the mixture will turn out runny. No worries, just chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Then, beat again until light and fluffy.
- Add in sugar and beat until fully combined. Then, whisk in the egg, melted chocolate, and vanilla, until just incorporated. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, lightly stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix in remaining chocolate chips and pistachios. Chill for about 10 minutes.
- Using a cookie scoop, shape out 12 cookies and press down with your palms to create a flat cookie. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 16-18 minutes. I like my cookies crunchy, so I baked mine at about 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool COMPLETELY.
- Scoop a couple tablespoons of pistachio ice cream into the center of one cookie. Place another on top, and gently press to create a sandwich. Enjoy immediately, or store in the freezer until needed.
What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?