Is there really anything better than a freshly baked, lemon blueberry donut? These are baked to soft, fluffy perfection, sweetened with golden-delicious honey, and bursting with bunches of citrusy goodness. Also, there’s the fact that it’s the first day of summer, and National Donut Day. Coincidence? I think not… just the little bit of magic life throws at us every now and then. Today, that magic is in the form of these dangerously enticing lemon blueberry donuts.
But really, though. I’m obsessed.
These lemon blueberry donuts are one of the easiest donut recipes I’ve ever made. To be honest, it’s even easier to make than my previous peanut butter donuts I made back in February. You don’t have to go all out and try to find weird ingredients, and I like to think that cleanup is kept at a pretty minimal level. I whipped up a quick batch of these this morning, and they were made in under half an hour! I think I’ll actually time myself next time… wouldn’t that be fun?
I’ll let y’all in on a little secret: see that cute lemon-patterned background I’ve included in the back of these photos? That’s actually a brand new top that I risked getting dirty for these pictures. I mean, it could have been accidentally stained blue by the blueberries, or gotten almond butter on it… I’m in love with the top, but lately my priorities have been weird!
Oh yeah… and one final thing. As usual, for most of my recipes, they are highly customizable. I “glazed” my donuts with a simple drizzle of almond butter, because the nutty almond flavor really compliments the citrusy lemon flavor. However, you could also use chocolate (which, in my opinion, tasted kind of strange, but go for it!), peanut butter, or heck, just use a traditional donut glaze! I’m not here to judge.
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (about half a lemon)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- almond butter, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, lemon zest, and salt.
- In another bowl, preferably a jug, whisk eggs, lemon juice, almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated, making sure not to over mix. Gently stir in the blueberries, and spoon batter into a well-greased donut pan. Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Drizzle some almond butter over top, and enjoy!
Happy National Donut Day!