It’s no secret that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Normally, I wake up, open my fridge, and just stare at it, contemplating what I should make. Eggs? Hash browns? Avo toast? Toast w/peanut butter? A yogurt parfait? Pancakes? Waffles? There’s just way too much to choose from!
HOWEVER. There is an exception around this time of year, because I literally know exactly what I want to eat: single serving honey pear oats. Here’s how it goes: the night before, I make a quick batch of steel cut oats. I also prep my pears by slicing them in half, coring them (I! love! fall! fruits!) and storing them in an airtight container. The next morning, I season my pears and throw them into the toaster oven, I add milk to my oats, and microwave that for about 30 seconds. Finally, I’ll add my roasted pears to the oats, and top them with a whole bunch of fun treats.
Now, I’ve made apple baked oats before and they’re so so delicious, but there’s something about a nice, classic bowl of oats on a chilly fall morning that I love. These single serving honey pear oats = an easy weekday breakfast made a whole lot better.
Watch how to make my single serving oats here!
Look at how beautifully golden-brown those pears are! If you aren’t extra like me, you can skip roasting them and eat them as they are, but I think going the extra step really makes a difference. They’re soft, sweet, and honestly everything I love about this time of year.
Oh, and I used pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon this time around, but feel free to use whatever you like your pears with. I can’t think of anything off the top of my head, but maybe ground ginger or allspice would be great too! Pumpkin spice is the best of all of those worlds, so obviously I had to use it. And of course, my favorite spice blend is from the one and only Trader Joe’s :)
- 1½ cup water
- ¼ cup steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp almond milk (optional)
- 1 pear (Barlette, Forelle, etc.)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- Peanut butter
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven (I recommend a toaster oven) to 375ºF.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add oats, bring to a simmer, and cook for 25-30, or until the oats have soaked up all the water. During the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, make sure to stir very frequently, because for some reason oats always love sticking to the bottom of the pan during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Half and core the pear. Drizzle both halves with honey, and season with cinnamon. Roast in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the fruit is soft. Let cool, then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Add oats to a bowl. Loosen with the 2 tbsp of almond milk, stirring to combine. Top with pears and additional toppings of choice (including but not limited to: granola, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.)
What do you like to top your oats with?