When the weekend rolls around, I still like to eat a little healthier, but I’ll treat myself with something a little fancier. Last weekend, I was scrolling through Pinterest and I found a bunch of “skillet” recipes, which in my opinion, is genius. Then, this sweet potato breakfast hash was born! It’s packed with all sorts of deliciousness, like Italian sausage, onions, bell peppers, eggs, and the star of the show, sweet potato. And, it’s filled with all sorts of protein and nutritious vegetables, which is a perfect to start off your day!
Lately, I’ve been getting ready faster in the morning so I’ll have time to make a nice breakfast for myself before I head off to school in the mornings. I’m really proud of myself for that, because I used to not eat breakfast at all, and my stomach would growl during class! Embarrassing. Plus, I’d be super drowsy the entire day and almost inhale my food during lunchtime. So, because of this, my new year’s resolution is to eat breakfast, drink more water, and eat healthier in general. I’ve been having things like avocado toast, acai/smoothie bowls, breakfast burritos, and lots of fruit. Occasionally, I’ll treat myself with something a little sweeter like waffles or pumpkin pancakes (remember those??)
If you don’t like meat, feel free to leave the sausage out, but I highly recommend it. I’m actually using the Goolsby’s Premium Country Sausage patties, only because that’s what I had on hand. I used about four patties (which is about 12 oz – I listed that in the recipe instead).
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups chopped sweet potato (about 2 small sweet potatoes or 1 large)
- 12 oz ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning *
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, brown the Italian sausage. Once completely cooked through, set aside. Cook the sweet potato until all sides are golden brown, and set aside.
- Add oil to the skillet, along with garlic and onions. Cook until onions are soft (abut 2-3 minutes). Add bell peppers and cook for an additional 2 minutes or so until onions are translucent, then turn off the heat.
- Add the sweet potato, sausage, and mixed greens to the skillet, and season with salt, pepper, and Mexican seasoning. Crack in the four eggs and bake for about 18-21 minutes or until the eggs are done.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, and/or sliced avocado. Enjoy!
What do y’all usually eat for breakfast?